Tuesday 17 January 2012

A nice warm thing

Just wanted to drop in to show you this. I thought it might happy things up a bit as it is nice and pretty, unlike the ongoing chest of drawers story, which is currently ugly and dusty..

In my previous post, you can see a picture of some drawers on the floor, with a set of double doors behind them. The drawers are in our dining room, and lead through into the room with no name.. or more accurately the room with many names.. the utility room/ garden shed/ laundry / sledge storage / toolshed/ workshop / mud room / garage. This room is invaluable but also inhumanly cold in winter, as it is single-glazed and has no heating. Those double doors that you can see have a finger-sized gap at the bottom of them, so in winter a wind blows through into the dining room as if from a sort of Bathothian tundra.

One day, feeling in a crafty mood, I decided I would EXCLUDE that draft from our lives. Hooray! I got lots of fabric scraps that I had left over from our wedding decorations, and a few other projects, and cut out some rectangles using my cutty mat, big massive ruler and rotary cutter (if you do anything with fabric you NEED to own these excellent things, they make the boring bits much better!):


Note essential hedgehog pincushion (from my bridesmaids) and sewing-box house (see here!)
 I then sewed the big rectangles together, chopped them horizontally into three, flipped the middle bit over, and sewed it back together so I had a long, thinnish bit of patchwork. I sewed some extra bits of fabric with hearts on it just to make it a bit more pretty. And to appeal to husband. Haha! Then I just hemmed the ends and sewed the long ends together to make a tube. I threaded ribbon through the ends and pulled one end tight to close it.

Next, I looked around for something to stuff it with. I generally save all my fabric scraps so thought I might use those, but I wanted to be able to wash this as it will spend its time being kicked around on the floor and couldn't bear the idea of either making a liner or emptying all the scraps out to wash it. Then I had a stroke of genius. GENIUS! Remember I told you we got some lovely new bedlinen when we got married? Well, we were overrun with old bobbled duvet covers. I took one of them, folded it into three, rolled it up and hey presto! Perfect. Here is the finished thing.. so proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment