Monday 25 April 2011

Eggsellent.

We have had a lovely Easter and managed (worryingly quickly) to relax and forget all about statistics, medicine, clinics, tiny molecules, bacteria, exams, damp/leaky house, PhD, wedding planning etc etc. Bf and I went to stay with my parents and spent most of the weekend with them and my aunt and brother. Many games of swingball were had, and much lazing in the sun occured. On Easter Sunday we went to Pangbourne for lunch by the Thames and wandered through the water meadows. Lots of boats drove(?!) past as we were eating scotch eggs. I am not sure if I would like a boat. You seem to have to sit there looking serious pretending to be serious boat type (+/- peaked boat hat) whilst everybody on the towpath stares at you and says things like 'bet that one cost about £300k. You'd have to be on it every week to make that worthwhile eh. Oh no, I don't like it. Looks a bit small and there's no outside space to speak of...'. On other hand, is probably very handy indeed for getting about in comfort in event of large flood. But having boat for contingency purposes in event of biblical flood not overly economical. Anyway I digress.

We had taken a BBQ with us in the hope of having sausages (bf loves sausages. He does have a nice soul though, so is not like my old boss and therefore is acceptable). Sadly there was a giant sign which said 'NO BBQs', with a strategically positioned police car sitting right next to it, complete with very pale and possibly not sun-loving policemen (it's true what they say, he looked about 15 to me..). The policeman was hovering some distance away from where a group of people had set up a giant monster BBQ. He told us that it was not actually illegal to possess the BBQ, but the moment it was lit, he would have to extinguish it and report the name of the responsible lightee to the PARISH COUNCIL! We decided it was just too risky to um, risk. Luckily, it turned out my mum had brought a small foil parcel of cooked sausages in her bag (is possibly only woman in world who brings contingency cooked meat to meat-cooking events. I have many things to learn.).

Do you have any family traditions? My family have a few. Is funny how they seem normal to you if that's what you grew up with. Am not sure bf thinks is all entirely normal but he is very accepting. I in turn am fairly accepting of his familial tendency to eat cold meats, gherkins and hummus for breakfast.

At home, every year, we decorate hard-boiled eggs the day before Easter and then bash them together one at a time on Easter morning. The holder of last egg to crack wins. There is no prize, the glory is more than enough.  As the 'children' in the family (ie me and my 23 yr old brother) have aged the decoration has become more elaborate than the spots and stripes of old. Last year we had egg-heads of all the family. They were startlingly realistic but as you probably don't know my family, I won't share them as it will a) be meaningless and b) possibly mean that every time I refer to someone you imagine an egg version of them, which would be mostly inaccurate.

This year's eggs had a wider a-peel (hard boiled..) based as they were on the upcoming Royal Wegging. Have a look below. Bf is a genius and drew Queen and Charles. I am less genuis and drew Wills and Kate. Brother, like me, has talents in other areas, and drew Harry and Camilla. What do you think?


Wedding Party: L-R Prince Charlegg, Camillegg, Williegg, Kegg Middleton, Heggy and Queen Egglizabeth. Oh and a simnel cake in the background. Never had one before. Nice. Not too Xmas cakey considering the overlap in key ingredients.

Nestling at the fridge after-party. Spot the lemon. And Faceless Man!

My family are very original when it comes to Easter eggs.
I hope you have a good week this week, at work or at play. I'm at home tomorrow as my work is closed - will be revising for my stats exam but hopefully sitting in the sun while I'm at it! See you later!

1 comment:

  1. ahahahaha I love the eggscellent royal family! I am glad you had a good weekend. I was on call so my weekend kind of sucked to be honest as I was trapped inside waiting to deal with calls.

    Good luck with stats exam (which one) and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete