Thursday 1 September 2011

A holiday and a surprisingly acceptable new form of bathing


Salut chaps! Am back in the Bath after a trip to France. The place we stayed is called Seche Boue, which translates as Dry Mud. It lived up to its name despite MASSIVE thunderstorms pretty much every night. Lovely sunshine and lots of cheese and wine and bike rides.
It doesn't look sunny, but it WAS!

 Bf’s parents have a house there and it is pleasingly French. The thing is, what with me being a creature who loves baths, I am put off visiting because it has no bath. And no swimming pool. And no jaccuzi. And is far from the sea. Pas de plage, or whatever. Basically, no way to submerge oneself in water. Submersion in water is totally necessary to enjoy the day and in my opinion, an absolute must-have on holiday.

Bf has tried for some time to convince me that there is no problem, because there is a swimming lake near to the house. The thing is that like many other people, I am a bit wary of swimming in lakes.  They are murky and muddy and gloopy and occasionally a little smelly, but the thing that really gets me is the presence of FISH. And really of any other living creature.  Absolutely can’t stand the thought of them swimming around and brushing against me. EEegh. It was so hot, however, and I had eaten so much cheese, that the thought of exercising somewhere cooler than the land made me venture into the lake. And do you know what? I am quite the convert. For about half an hour I was very wary, especially as my anxieties were compounded by the fact that about a quarter of the lake was for swimming, and the rest for FISHING. Gah. However, apart from some massive scary bubbles in the middle of a calm bit of water, which I gave a wide berth to, had no fishy problems.
A corner of the garden. Isn't it just CRYING OUT for a hot tub/ jaccuzi/ plunge pool?!
 I would like to go back, and take the rubber dinghy and the big rubber rings. And my friend Jason. Jason once lead several of us on a rubber dinghy expedition down a mighty river near Tilford. He always blows up our inflatables with his tenacious lips. He is generally King of all things Joyous on Water, so he must come too.

Whilst we were away, I discovered the most adorable thing about bf. He still has his duvet cover from when he was a little boy! It’s in the house in France. I went into the bedroom after he’d made the bed and he was all tucked up under this:
Red lorry, yellow lorry.. :)

Lots of other things to tell you about France but I will wait til I’ve managed to upload some more photos (these are from my phone – the proper camera requires a cable – needy!).

So for now, we are back to life, back to reality. I took my work to France and got a lot done. However, still have about another fifteen pages of very dense text to write in an unfeasibly short amount of time. Must find myself a warm body of water to make things more bearable.. happily, I live rather close to this place!

1 comment:

  1. Now catching up on some blog reading and commenting before annual leave.
    I think your bf's childhood duvet is so cute and the fact that he still uses it even cuter!
    He is such a nice guy!
    It seemed like a lovely holiday too. I would be wary of lakes too, probably as I can't swim! oops!

    ReplyDelete